Home >> Internet >> Microsoft Bing now accepts the “right to be forgotten” requests

Microsoft Bing now accepts the “right to be forgotten” requests

Microsoft has considered it wiser to follow in the shoes of Google as it has started taking up the “right to be forgotten” requests. A form has been opened up by the company which would invite requests to be filed by the individuals. This would be applied on Bing very soon.bing-new-logo

The decision by Microsoft has been announced just last week and it is based on the ruling by the European Court of Justice. According to the ruling, the European citizens can push the search engines to eliminate links that have originated as a result of searching something in their own name.


Google had already started accepting the requests after the ruling made by the European Court of Justice in the month of May. According to the sources, around 700,000 requests have been received by Google so far. It was only last month that it removed the first set of links present in the search results.

Microsoft has also joined the ranks of Google by showing a green flag to the ruling of the European Court of Justice. However, it is evident that Microsoft would not be able to receive as many “right to be forgotten” requests as Google. Google accounts for 90 percent of the search results in Europe as compared to the remaining 10 percent for Bing and other search engines.

When compared to the Google form, Microsoft’s form is more detailed and invites more data points to be entered by the user. The Microsoft form states it will “consider the balance between your individual privacy interest and the public interest in protecting free expression and the free availability of information, consistent with European law. As a result, making a request does not guarantee that a particular search result will be blocked”.

See also: LinkedIn launches dedicated Job Search App for iPhone.

Microsoft has always remained silent on the argument about the ECJ ruling. On the other hand, Google has been critical of it. However, the decision by Microsoft to accept “right to be forgotten” requests has been welcomed by the internet community.

[ Request Form ] [ Via ]

About David Mayor

Writer and editor of The Next Digit Media, he takes care of iOS, Apple, Mac and other gadgets. He worked at Apple Inc, before joining to TND Media. He was graduated in Bachelor of Journalism & Mass Communication Degree from Cambridge University. All posts by David

Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: 12: REST API is deprecated for versions v2.1 and higher (12) thrown in /home/nitin198/public_html/wp-content/plugins/seo-facebook-comments/facebook/base_facebook.php on line 1273