As the Android 4.4 KitKat has been launched recently, you might be very much keen to install the updated mobile OS on your smartphone, but officially, you should wait for your device maker to start rollout.
If you just want to try out the home screen and the app drawer of KitKat on your 4.1 and above Jelly Bean running smartphones, you have the option as a developer in XDA-Developers Forum has managed to extract the KitKat launcher, which has and can bring new kind of home screen and app drawer from LG made Nexus 5 smartphone to your JB running handsets. Apart from the new kind of features, there is a touchless search, which can start the search from home screen, just by saying “Ok, Google Now.”
How to install KitKat launcher with home screen and app drawer on Jelly Bean phones?
The below steps will tell you how to get your phone skinned with the new KitKat look.
- First of all, you should turn on the “install from unknown sources” from your settings > security
- Now download the Android KitKat launcher package from here.
- The package is a zip file, hence you should extract and copy the files to your phone memory or microSD card. You can also download directly from your phone and extract it using the third-party extracting apps such as unzip.
- Now, start installing the apk files one by one in this manner : PreBuiltGMSCore.apk > Velvet.apk > GoogleHome.apk
- Voila! you have the new KitKat home screen and app drawer on your Jelly Bean phone. You can also move to your previous launcher if you are not comfortable.
Watch the video below, which demonstrate the KitKat launcher on Galaxy Note 2:
UPDATE: I have personally installed the Android KitKat launcher on Samsung Galaxy S3 and its working fine except the touchless voice search feature to say “Ok Google”. You need to restart the phone if you don’t get the 2 options for the home launcher. After I restarted my Samsung Galaxy S3, it asked me to choose the Launcher or TouchWiz.