The government has agreed to the unlocking of devices in the United States, which means you can now unlock your mobile phone or tablet (iPhones, iPads, Android smartphones), to use it with different wireless network carrier. This facility is very essential, as users can now change their network provider if the current one is not suitable. All major service providers like Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint phones and U.S cellular, now allow unlocking of devices and you can switch the carrier service to the best one in your area.
With this change, it finally sounds like you really own your phone. Previously, it was like you rented the phone from a network provider; to change the network provider, you had to buy a new phone. So, check out all the necessary details on how to unlock your US phones under the new rules.
How to Unlock
The unlocking policy and methods vary according to the network provider. The unlocking process is free if you fit in the rules set by the provider. Let us now check the methods major companies allow, when it comes to unlocking your device.
- Verizon – All you need to do is check if you meet the requirements set by the company. You can click on below link to check the device unlocking policy that Verizon allows. Verizon Unlocking Policy. If you meet the requirements, you just need to call Verizon on 1-800-711-8300 and request for device unlock.
- AT&T – supports device unlocking through an online interface. You just have to visit AT&T Unlocking Policy. The page has complete information about how one can be eligible for unlocking their device.
- Sprint Phones – Sprint phones provides phone as well as online unlocking. You can either call on 1-888-211-4727 or unlock your device through web chat service on their site. To check the norms set by the company, you can visit on the link Sprint Unlocking Policy. The page has the complete unlocking policy information on it.
- T-Mobile – To unlock T-Mobile phones, you have to call on 1-877-746-0909 or request for unlocking the device on their web chat interface. The device unlocking policy is stated on T-Mobile Unlock Policy.
- US-Cellular – To unlock you need to call US Cellular at 1-888-944-9400. You can check the unlocking policy on Us Cellular Device Unlock.
Before making your request to unlock the device always check the company policy and make a request only if you are eligible. Companies have the right to take the ineligible requests as an abuse of the facility.
Some Additional Information
After you request unlocking of your device the carrier addresses your request within 48 hours of request. The unlocking process will be completely free if you are eligible for unlocking. If you have postpaid connection, you can unlock the phone after your contract is complete and payments are made. Tablets and Smartphone are included in the unlocking policies; however, some older phones may not be available for unlocking, due to lack of technology and support from other carriers, all latest phones support unlocking, though.
This new rule finally gives public freedom of choice when it comes to wireless network provider. The mobile phone is purchased and paid; then not allowing the freedom to change the network provider according to customer’s suitability, was very unfair and bureaucratic kind of a system. The government finally has addressed the problem and the citizens now really own their mobile phones and tablets.
Finally, if you face any problem unlocking US phones under new rules, do let us know in the comments section below and we will try to solve it for you.