Amazon has just posted its 2013’s Christmas press release and claimed that it had a tremendous holiday season, especially via the Prime membership program and said that more than 1 million customers have joined the Prime, a free two-day shipping program in third week of December.
World’s largest online store, Amazon hasn’t revealed the exact numbers of Prime members but said that it now has “tens of millions” of Prime members. However, this year, Amazon has shipped more items via the Prime shipping than ever before along with the record-breaking holiday season sales. On Cyber Monday, Amazon sold 36.8 million items worldwide, which means a whopping 426 items per second on that particular day.
To avoid the negative impact y the surge of new Prime membership signups, it even limited the membership signups during the peak periods. Regarding the global technology change, Amazon revealed that more than 50% of its orders came from mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets during this holiday season.
Few interesting numbers revealed by the company:
- There are more than 27 million movies, TV shows, songs, apps, games and other digital goods available at Amazon’s digital media selection.
- Amazon Instant Video now has 150K+ TV episodes and movies, while Prime Instant Video category has 40K+ including the exclusive subscribers-only TV series.
- Kindle’s Lending Library has 475K+ books, which can be accessed by Prime members with Kindle can borrow for free without due dates.
- 200K+ Exclusive for Kindle were added to the store in this year.
- In 2013, 150 Kindle Direct Publishing authors sold 100K+ copies of their e-books each.
- Amazon Appstore now has more than 100K apps and games, which is doubled compared to the last year.