A woman from Detroit, Michigan, nearly died after one of her Samsung phones caught fire and set her entire car ablaze. She said she had put two mobile phones, both Samsung, in the car’s cup holder before the incident.
One of the two phones, a Samsung Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S8, abruptly caught fire while she was behind the wheel. The woman asked not to be identified.
I thought I was going to die when I saw the sparks and the fire,
the car owner told reporters.
The blaze quickly engulfed the Nissan Maxima she was driving. Fortunately, she was able to get away from the car. Witnesses urged the woman to get as far as she could from the vehicle. The fire happened quick, in the woman’s words.
She said that she could have been dead now had her car been stuck in the traffic on a highway.
Samsung Willing to Recall the Faulty Galaxy Model
Fire crews believe one of the mobile phones started the fire. So far, around 100 Samsung devices have caught fire without reason. Some airline companies have banned the phones on airplanes.
Samsung had similar troubles with the Galaxy Note 7, which had to be recalled. The South Korean giant eventually canceled all shipments and sales when a handset caught fire. The woman’s attorney claims that her Samsung phones were not on the company’s recall list.
The woman contacted the company, which deployed a crew to investigate the fire. Investigators have collected portions of the phones and plan to find out which caught fire and why. Once they learned which of the two phones was behind the fire, the company may issue a new recall.
Samsung refused to comment on “pending litigation.” It wasn’t immediately clear if the Michigan woman planned to sue the company.
Image Source: Flickr