The Custom Android firmware developer CyanogenMod has released a new CM 12.1 series custom ROM for HTC One M7. HTC announced that it would not provide software support for the 2013 flagship smartphone, and the new ROM solves the problem.
Users will be able to use the email app, powered by Boxer for multiple account support, exchange support and quick replies. Other features include sound customizations, different LED colors for email notifications and several bug fixes.
Things to Note:
The device should be rooted, before starting the installation. The CyanogenMod 12.1 firmware is compatible only for the HTC One M7 model, and installing on other devices is not advised. Check the model number by accessing Settings > About phone.
HTC One M7’s memory will have to be cleared while installing custom ROM. Data can be backed by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery in the smartphone. The smartphone’s USB drivers (download) must be installed on the PC, and a 80 percent battery charge is recommended.
Steps to install CyanogenMod (Lollipop) on HTC One M7:
1. Download CyanogenMod Android 5.1 Lollipop custom ROM here and Google Apps here to your PC. Connect HTC One M7 smartphone via USB to your PC.
2. Copy the Android 5.1 zip file and Google Apps file ionto the phone’s SD card memory.( The .zip file must only be placed in the SD card root)
3. Copy the boot.img file into the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory, and turn off the device. Disconnect from PC.
4. Enter bootloader mode by holding ‘Volume’ and ‘Power’ buttons. After entering bootloader mode on the phone, go to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory on the PC and type ‘flashboot flash boot boot.img’ in the command prompt and press enter. (Enter command prompt: Shift+right-click /open command prompt)
5. Type ‘fastboot reboot‘, press enter and follow the instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER option to enter Recovery Mode. In the Recovery Mode, wipe phone data by choosing ‘wipe data/factory reset.’ (use volume keys to navigate and power button to select options).
6. Then, select ‘wipe cache partition’, to clear cache memory. An optional procedure to prevent loops while installation, users can return to ClockworkMod recovery > select ‘advanced’ and top ‘wipe dalvik cache.’
7. Enter the main recovery screen again, and tap ‘install .zip from SD card.’ Tap ‘choose .zip from sdcard’ and navigate to Android 5.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in the SD card, to begin installation. Repeat the procedure to install Google Apps.
8. After installation, navigate to ‘+++++Go Back+++++‘, and reboot the smartphone by tapping ‘reboot system now’ in the recovery menu.
The device might take a few minutes to start, to complete the booting process. Check the successful installation of the custom ROM by accessing Settings > About Phone.
Disclaimer: Users are advised to take help of an individual with technical knowledge of Android installation, or the device might get bricked.